July 31, 2011 – a good feeling

31 Jul

Trip to the cabin.  Sounds like alot of fun and relaxation.  But let me assure you, it is far from relaxing.  First there is the preparation.  Hooking up the trailer.  Loading up the “stuff” to take.  Then there is the 4 hour drive, which always involves a wait at the US border and fast-paced bumper to bumper travel on HIghway 75 north.  And since it is usually only once a month (May thru October) that we make the trip (and sometimes a month or two are missed), there is ALWAYS grass to cut.  This means bringing up the lawn-mower each time.  And the chain saw is a must-take item, too.  There are usually big limbs that have fallen (broken off) from the Weeping Willow trees.  There is alway branches and such to burn.

This trip was no different.  Cut the grass.  Cut up some HUGE limbs that had broken off.  I cut down a scraggly pine tree that has been bugging me for some time.  Cut, cut, cut.  

And then there are the unexpected things that happen.  This time, in my rear view mirrow, I noticed that one of my trailer fenders was flopping away as I was heading down busy Highway 75.  So I pulled over and disconnected it completely, put it in the back of the van and resumed the journey.  Unfortunately, the fender had been rubbing on the tire (as I suspected) and it wasn’t long before the tire “blew” apart.  Pull over again.  Woe is me.  My jack and tire wrench are in a VERY hard to access back corner of my van.  I can open the access compartment from the inside, but it means crawling around and over the back seat.  In short, very hard to get to.  So just as I was about to climb in and get my tools, a “good samaritan” pulls up behind me and jumps out and offers to help.  He has a BIG jack and a easily accessible tire wrench.   In no time, we had the blown out tire off and the spare on.  He wouldn’t give me his name and wouldn’t take any money.  Just doing a good deed.

As a result of the tire issue, I spent Saturday morning driving around trying to find a tire place that could sell me a couple of the tires and install them.   It was about 1 in the afternoon before I could get back to the cabin and start my yard work. 

I worked until about dark.  Slept like a baby.  This morning, before packing up and heading home, I got the chainsaw out and trimmed up some trees around the place.

I do get to enjoy the early morning period.  I am an early riser.  So I get up at 6 AM and sit out side in the lawn chair and listen to the sounds of nature around me.  Saturday morning, 3 SANDHILL CRANES flew by overhead.  I heard a PILEATED WOODPECKER nearby, but couldn’t locate it.  GROSBEAKS, NUTHATCHES and CHICKADEES came to my feeder.  WARBLERS were non-existant.  I saw a BROADWING HAWK.

Despite all the work, it still gives me a good feeling to be there.  I hope my readers had a good feeling this weekend, too.


Posted by on July 31, 2011 in Uncategorized


Tags: , , , , ,

2 responses to “July 31, 2011 – a good feeling

  1. Bob Zeller

    August 1, 2011 at 8:02 am

    Dave, I always enjoy your posts. Great reading about your experiences.


  2. Sheila

    August 1, 2011 at 1:34 pm

    Dave, I think back and wonder how on earth did Mom & Dad haul all our stuff, and us for a week or two. I can really feel for them now!

%d bloggers like this: